The founder of the South Devon Hunt was George Templer of Stover House near Newton Abbot in about 1810. He is also famous for building the granite railway from Haytor Quarry to the Stover canal, allowing granite to be brought down from the moor and shipped to London to build structures like London Bridge, the British Museum and the National Gallery. He hunted his hounds until 1826 when he was forced to sell the Stover estate for financial reasons.(Click the map for a larger view)
In the mid nineteenth century Mr John Whidbourne, a Teignmouth solicitor and Master of the hunt, defined the country of the South Devon as the area of land between the rivers Exe and Dart from Exeter to Totnes. Its northern boundary was the road leading from Two Bridges to Moretonhampstead, Dunsford and Exeter. This is much as it is today except that over the years the country has been divided and then reunited.
In 1890 an agreement was reached with the Mid Devon Hunt granting them “the occupation of that portion of their country which lies on the North and West of the Moretonhampstead road” for £5 per year.
These days, part of the country is let to the Silverton Hunt.